How to Decant a Bottle of Wine?
- Remove a bottle of wine from a storage a few hours before you plan to have it served. You must keep it upright to allow the sediment to collect at the bottom of the bottle.
- Rinse the decanter with a small amount of wine. You must remove any foreign smell in the decanter that may affect the flavours of the wine.
- For the rim of the bottle close or on to the opening of the decanter pour with the wine slowly and steadily into the decanter. The sediment will collect at the shoulder of the bottle.
- There will be a few centimetres of sedimentary wine left in the bottle but did you know that you can run it through as sieve or through filter paper.
- Let wine breathe and serve when the level of aeration desired is achieved.
- Refrain from washing the decanter with chemicals. You can use simply rinse it with coarse salt and warm water.